;
HomeOur Story Start @ Beginning

Monday, July 19, 2010

Admitted to Children's Covenant in Lubbock

Besides Isaac's ongoing diarrhea (thinking from teething), we thought he was doing pretty well. But of course yesterday, he gave us a scare. When Dad changed his diaper, he noticed a red glob mixed in with his poop. He asked me to look and wanted to get my opinion. I'm no doctor and I said "well, maybe he's just got some irritation from having the runs for so long." Well, it still kinda scared me because the glob was about two inches long and looked like a glob of jelly. I looked it up online and it of course scared me. It came up with a lot of reasons but the worst was called intussusception, and it absolutely scared us of course. Ernest called the On-call cardiologist and told him the situation. He asked us to go to the nearest hospital and get it checked out. Well, with the experiences we've had with our local hospital, we didn't want to take the chance and take him there. We told him that the closest children's hospital was located 2 hours away and that we would rather take him there. So thinking that maybe they would just test and discharge him on the same day, we left as early as we could. We ended up leaving by noon and got to the children's emergency at 2pm. Bloodwork, xrays, and cultures were done very quickly, thankfully because I guess Isaac was in the right mood to cooperate. All the primary results came back negative but they wanted to go ahead and admit him for more tests and monitoring. Let me say, that even though we hated to stay overnight, the children's floors are so cute and pretty. The only complaint that we had was that there is only room for one person to sleep on the sleeper couch. We tried to make ourselves fit on the couch for a nap, but it just did NOT work out. Ernest went to go buy an air up mattress. So besides the nurses coming in through the night, we slept well. Doctors came in to see him this morning and talked to us. They told us that although he is stooling blood, they didn't think it was intussusception but they wanted to do an ultrasound to make sure. The doctors here think that maybe the immunosuppressants that he is on are the culprits. Ultrasound was done and radiologist didn't see anything to worry about. We were waiting for doctors to come by this afternoon, but I guess we'll have to wait again till morning. I'm praying that maybe they'll just end up making changes to his medicine or giving him something to coat his intestines and get us going home by tomorrow evening. We really need to get home because my Mom is at home alone with Eli and my niece. My niece is 12 years old and her and Eli are a big help with her. My aunt goes to check on her periodically and stayed with her overnight but I hate to burden them. Please send your good thoughts our way. I will keep everyone posted.

Setting aside all of this weekend's drama, we had a great time last weekend. Our friend, Melody, her two nieces, nephew and mom visited us for a few days. We did all there was to do in Midland. We went shopping, out to eat, went to the drivin and best of all went swimming. This was Isaac's first time in the water and although the initial cold shock scared him he ended up loving it. Here are some recent pictures.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and prayers!

A Dedication to the Angel that gave me my new heart!

Total Pageviews